Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Matthew Richard Bertram

December 9, 1973
Rochester, New York
~
June 7, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Matthew Richard Bertram was born December 9, 1973, in Rochester, NY as the second of five children of Thomas and Linda Bertram. 

He attended Avon (NY) elementary school prior to moving to Phoenix in 1983.  Once in the valley he attended Peralta elementary schools, Estrella Junior High School, Trevor Browne High School and graduated from Maryvale High School in May of 1991.  Matthew received an Associate’s Degree in Business from Phoenix College in 1994 and Bachelors of Science degree from Arizona State University in Recreation and Tourism Management in December of 1997.

Matthew was an accomplished athlete, excelling at every sport he played.  However his true sports passion was football, which he competed in for more than 11 years, starting at the age of 10 when he first played Vince Lombardi football in New York for the Avon Giants football team.  Playing on the Red Barons Pop Warner team in Phoenix, AZ for 2 years until reaching High School, he quickly became a standout for every team that he played on.  His senior year at Maryvale High School, as captain of the defense, he lead the team in tackling and interceptions as a middle linebacker, resulting in him being recognized as the “Most Valuable Defensive Player” for the team that year.  He went on to play football as a tight end at Phoenix College (91-93) and Arizona State University (93-94).

His other great passion in life was working with and mentoring youth.  After graduating from ASU, he worked for the City of Phoenix, Parks and Recreation Department, as a recreation coordinator from 1998-2007.  During this time he worked at various City of Phoenix recreation centers where he coached numerous sports teams, mentored youth, and positively contributed to the local communities through his leadership, compassion, outreach and commitment to kids that would come to his “center.”  From 2006-2011 he worked with at-risk youth as a behavioral health technician at New Horizon Youth Homes, providing support,  structure and mentorship to young men from all walks of life.

His hobbies included watching and playing sports, movies, all types of music, poker, camping, spending time with friends and family, new experiences, and trying to make other people’s lives a little bit easier. 

In the early evening of June 7, 2012 Matthew died of cardiac arrest.  He was preceded by his father in death and is survived by his daughters, Elexa, Phoenix, and Paris; sons, Jake and Noah; mother Linda; sisters, Tammy, Sarah, and Rachel; and his brothers, Thomas and Anthony.

Visitation will be held on Saturday, June 16 from 10:00am-11:30am at Avenidas Funeral Chapel in Old Town Avondale. The Funeral Service will begin at 11:30am with Windel Tucker presiding. A final viewing will take place from 1:00pm-2:00pm.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Matthew R. Bertram Memorial Fund, a scholarship fund for his children at Navy Federal Credit Union R/T#256074974 Acct#3032488136.


Please feel free to share your condolences with the family and also your thoughts with friends. Perhaps a short funny moment or cherished time you spent with this loved family member who will sorely be missed and forever remembered.



Select profile - "ANONYMOUS" if desired. Place your name at the bottom of your message.

9 comments:

  1. ELEXA MARIE PARRA-BERTRAMJune 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM

    I LOVE MY DADDY! I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW MUCH I MISS AND LOVE HIM! HE ALWAYS MADE ME LAUGH BY DOING FUNNY AND SILLY THINGS! HE ALWAYS CALLED ME BABY AND NEVER BY MY REAL NAME! I WILL ALWAYS BE HIS BABY! HE ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT I WAS PRETTY SMART AND TOUGH! LOVE YOU DADDY!

    LOVE ELEXA MARIE PARRA-BERTRAM

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOAH ALEXANDER PARRA-BERTRAMJune 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM

    THANKS DAD FOR TEACHING ME EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT FOOTBALL. THANKS FOR TAKING ME TO MY FIRST GLOBETROTTERS GAME. THANKS FOR TRYING TO COME TO MY FOOTBALL GAMES. THANKS FOR ALWAYS BELIEVING ME IN EVERYTHING I DID. I WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR PAPA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU FOR BEING MY DAD. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT TIMES YOU GAVE ME. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE TALKS AND LAUGHS YOU GAVE ME. THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME MAKE FRIENDS AND ALSO GIVING ME MY FIRST DOG (PATRICK).THANK YOU FOR TAKING ME ON MY FIRST CAMPING TRIP. THANK YOU FOR ALWAYS BELIEVING IN ME. EVEN WHEN I WAS MAD AT YOU, YOU ALWAYS MADE ME LAUGH. I WOULD TRY SO HARD TO NOT BREAK BUT YOU WOULD ALWAYS SAY SOMETHING FUNNY, TO WHERE I COULDN'T HOLD IT IN! THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I REMEMBER YOU SAYING BUT THE ONE I CAN HEAR YOU SAYING NOW IS "AWW..SNAP!!" I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DAD, AND I MISS YOU VERY MUCH. I CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU AND LAUGH WITH YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being a big brother who never quit trying to give me advice, even when I was a grown up. I will miss you doing the cabbage pack (especially since you always looked to big to do it!!) I already miss your big Bertram voice calling from down the hall. Rahsad started laughing about the hour you spent cracking everyone up about our ceiling fan not being Hampton Bay. Thank you so much for making my girls feel important to you, and giving them lockers...they still talk about being leaders! I miss you so much, and hope you and Dad can see this beautiful family we all have made, I love you Matty! Please give your children peace, for they know we love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brittany (luke krohn rec "center")June 15, 2012 at 2:21 PM

    Thanks a lot Matthew! I am a black girl who can sing along to all kinds of music, from Dave Matthews band to Johnny Cash! LOL! You exposed me to so many things. So many great memories. I truly appreciate you! I am saddened that your heart attacked you and took you so soon, I take comfort in knowing at least it was a heart of gold. What an amazing person you are! Awesome boss, awesome friend, awesome father, awesome mentor. Awesome person. Gone too soon. We had so much catching up to do, so sad we never got the chance. So sorry to his family and his beautiful babies, he loved them so much. I'm really gonna miss my friend. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you matty you were the greatest brother in law anyone could ask for you made me laugh all the time and you were an awesome uncle to Nicholas,tyler, and Ivan we love you more than words can express

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think about you all the time and constantly hear songs that remind me of you. I can hear your huge, raspy voice singing them all and still have your whistling embedded in my brain! So many great moments we've shared that will never be forgotten...I love you

    ReplyDelete
  8. mckenna lee bertramJuly 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

    Thank you for being the best uncle i could ever have. You were funny becase you made me and caden laugh all the time. i like when you took a bike ride with us.i loved you and paris.you were really helpful to me and caden. i liked when you gave me things.i really liked spenting time with you. i will never forget you and the good times. I LOVE YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caden Thomas BertramJuly 21, 2012 at 8:09 PM

    Thank you VERRRY much for being one of the best uncles I ever imagine. You would make me laugh when didn't even know what you were even saying and made me laugh no matter what. And that one time you where geting us off the bus and you where laying down in the grass then you poped up and tryed to scare me and mckenna. And I want to say is that I love you and I will NEVER forget you and have a good time in heven

    P.S. make God laugh his butt OFF!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete