Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Colonel John Scott "Scotty" Clarke Jr

July 11, 1922
Dinwiddie, Virginia
~
December 26, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona





Colonel John Scott “Scotty” Clarke Jr, 89, of Litchfield Park, passed away December 26 at Banner Estrella Medical Center in Phoenix, surrounded by his loving family.

Scotty was born July 11, 1922 in Dinwiddie, Virginia to John and Nora (Hawkens) Clarke. He relocated to Arizona in 1970, when he was transferred to Luke Air Force Base in Glendale. Scotty was a member of the Church at Litchfield Park, Wigwam Golf and Country Club, Order of the Daedalians, and the Quiet Birds (QB).

Scotty was promoted to the rank of “Full Bird” Colonel on September 15, 1966 and then honorably retired in 1972.   Colonel Clarke had a glorious career serving his country from the end of World War II to the Vietnam War. He was skilled and mastered the flight of the P-51 Mustang fighter bomber over the skies of Europe to the F-4 Phantom over Vietnam. The Colonel held various leadership roles from Squadron Commander to Wing Commander, at the end of his career at Luke Air Force Base.

His awards are only a fraction of the recognition he received while serving. These awards include, but are not limited to, The Distinguished Flying Cross (1 Oak Leaf Cluster), the Air Medal (9 Oak Leaf Clusters), the Air Force Commendation Medal (1 Oak Leaf Cluster), the Legion of Merit, the National Defense Service Medal (1 Bronze Service Star), the Air Force Longevity Service Award (5 Oak Leaf Clusters), the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon, Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, Vietnam Service Medal (3 Bronze Service Stars), Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, as well as numerous other awards and medals. Scotty also held a bachelors degree in history.

"The Colonel" was honorably retired while holding the position as Commanding Office, 58th Tactical Fighter Training Wing, Luke Air Force Base, Arizona.

Scotty is preceded in death by his parents, John and Nora Belle; and his sisters, Elsie Barnes and Annie Laurie Thrift. He is survived by his wife Isabel Clarke; his daughters, Patty Emmert (Chuck), Isabelle Clarke, and Janet Jones; his son, Bill William Harper Clarke (Sharon); his nephews, Clinton G. Herrings (Terry) and Wayne Clark Barns (Margie); as well as 11 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren.

Services will be held on Saturday, February 11 at 11:00am at Church at Litchfield Park, located at 300 North Old Litchfield Road, Litchfield Park.



Please feel free to share your condolences with the family and also your thoughts with friends. Perhaps a short funny moment or cherished time you spent with this loved family member who will sorely be missed and forever remembered.


Select profile - "ANONYMOUS" if desired. Place your name at the bottom of your message.

4 comments:

  1. Isabel, I was so sorry to hear of Scotty's passing. You are such a lovely lady and I have enjoyed our many chats. Kaye Colvin/Curves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Isabel,
    I was so sorry to hear of the passing of my Great uncle J.S.
    I know that my Daddy, Bolling, and his sisters, Elsie and Grandma Thrift were there to welcome him Home...
    Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.
    All my love, Isabel!
    Laurie Eichinger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel and family, I am so sorry to hear about J.S. I have such fond memories of him when I was a child and I know Daddy loved him so much too. As Laurie said above, I know he had a royal welcome in heaven! My love to you all. Linda Thrift Horton (Bolling's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. Scott,
    I met you several years ago with Scotty in the Safeway store. My name is Jan Brantingham. I used to be the Executive Assistant at the Wigram. Scotty, me and my Black Lab Jake met practically every morning for many years. Jake knew Scotty as his friend.
    Walking between 4:00 AM and 5:00 AM every day, is not the ideal time to become really good friends. I think September was the last time we saw Scotty. He was walking down So.Old Litchfield Rd. where I live. He walked with Jake and me on our walk and then headed up to the County Club. We will miss him.

    Please feel free to contact me at my home # 623-935-6145, via mail at 231 S. Old Litchfield Road, or email me at brantingham_63@msn.com

    God Bless you and you famiy,

    Jan Brantingham

    ReplyDelete